Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tuesday's Treasures - Hen & Rooster


Hen & Rooster Salt and Pepper Shakers
 from Occupied Japan

     These lovely salt & pepper shakers were gifted to me by my mother from her enormous salt/pepper collection.  I am thankful to have so many sets of her collection, and I especially love this set.  When I introduce myself as a Cornish, most people remark, "like the hen?"  So being a Cornish, I just had to start collecting hens and roosters.  This hen and roo have such beautiful colors and their beaks are shiny gold.  The bottoms do bear the "Occupied Japan" mark.  Here's a little history of "Occupied Japan" collectables. 
     Following the end of World War II in 1945 and until 1952, items imported from Japan to the United States had to be marked in a fashion indicating they came from Occupied Japan. Although four different marks were used on items during this time ("Japan," "Made in Japan," "Occupied Japan," and "Made in Occupied Japan"), only the last two marks guarantee the pieces were made in the Occupied Japan time frame. For serious Occupied Japan collectors, it is items with these two marks for which they search.
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...